Tuesday, June 15, 2010

How apropos!

I feel like I've been knitting this sock for Ashley forever. According to my notebook on Ravelry, it's been about six weeks. Don't get me wrong, this is not a case of Second Sock Syndrome (a condition in which the knitter has little or no desire to finish or even start the second sock in a pair). I'm actually impatient to finish the first one so that I can get on with the second one.

It occurred to me today that the main color on these socks is called grass. I love the way it has a hint of yellow so that it really does look like grass. Considering how long these are taking me, it has been a lot like watching the grass grow. Actually, I think the grass has been growing faster than I've been  knitting. Okay, enough whining and moaning.

My friend who belongs to MATTS confirmed that the mother turtle was indeed a box turtle. By doing some research online, I found out that the eggs will hatch in about 2-3 months. I suspect the Great Turtle Watch of 2010 will consist mostly of watching a muddy patch in the garden. Had we not witnessed the mother laying the eggs, we probably would not have noticed the spot after she buried them.

Yeah, see that slight ridge of dirt to the right  of the cilantro? That's the nest. Don't bite off all your fingernails in the suspense.


 On a sad note, the nestling did not make it. I checked on it when I got home yesterday, but it had been dead for quite some time, judging by the smell.




Since I don't like to end things on a sad note, I'll end on a silly one. Tik Tak gave me a preview of her one-feline show, One Fell Out of the Cuckoo's Nest. She's really not demented, despite what Vova says.

1 comment:

  1. Too bad about the nestling. I was interested in how it would evolve.. Cute kiddie!!

    ReplyDelete