Friday, April 9, 2010

Spring!

This is one of those great plays on words in English. The season has begun, yes, there's no doubt about that. Then there's my momentum from earlier this week, which is still holding. It's like it was all potential energy in a compressed coil that's now sprung. I don't understand it, but I like it. Wednesday I finished the lace repeats for the leg and started the heel flap on Kes' (belated) birthday socks.

After I got home from work, I picked up the sticks and branches that came down during the snow storms. Anna, who was over for the afternoon, helped, despite a particularly poignant episode of teen angst.

Yesterday was a busy day at work, more so because I decided to take today off and wanted to make sure there were no loose ends. Not much knitting went on, but the rest of the week was so productive that I didn't mind.

My goal in taking today off was to get a jump on the yard work before all the vegetation takes over. Last year we really didn't start out with the right equipment. By the time we had it, well, it was a losing battle that I fought all summer. In the end, I did gain some ground, quite literally, but it was hard won. If you have the suspicion that I'm a lawn nerd in addition to being a knitting nerd, you are right.

Despite the fact that I just mowed two days ago, the lawn already needed it again. Not only that, but there are dandelions everywhere.

Vova called the repair shop to see how soon they could come pick up the lawn tractor for a maintenance check and to fix the flat tire. After saying it would be three or four weeks before they pick it up, they suggested we remove the tire to repair it separately. We did so, feeling very clever, I might add. Then it occurred to us that it might have just lost pressure after having sat in  the shed all winter. I took it to an air pump at a local gas station. Apparently, that was the problem; I mowed all afternoon on it with no pressure loss.

Why is this interesting? "Why are you a lawn nerd?," you might ask. I would submit to you that the reasons are almost identical: this activity produces tangible, visible results; it relieves stress; I have a sense of satisfaction no matter how much or little I do; people look at what I've done and say, "Wow! You did all that? It looks beautiful." Although, I admit that maintaining my knitting hardware is far less messy and requires less upper body strength.

One of the other benefits is, in spring, enjoying outdoor sights and smells. Practically everything is in bloom right now. The dogwood tree is especially spectacular this year.

I blew it on taking pictures of the pear tree. Earlier this week, it was covered in white blossoms, looking like some giant lacy thing. However, when I went out to take pictures of it today, I found that only a few blossoms were left. It's still nice, but not the incredible display it was.

I'm looking forward to a good crop of pears this year. I don't know what kind of pears they are. The skin is rough and brown, the flesh is grainy, but sweetly mild-flavored.

These were my ruminations as I mowed, gathered more branches, raked, and cleaned the mowers.

Then I went in the house and cleaned the kitchen. I know I should provide photographic proof, but you're going to have to take me on good faith here. I washed all the dishes in the sink, vacuumed and swiffered the floor. I also vacuumed the breakfast room and the stairs. The stairs had a good swiffering too.

Tomorrow I'm planning on teaching Anna how to drive the lawn tractor. She was going to come over this evening, but her play auditions ran late and Vova wasn't feeling well. We decided it would be better all around to start the weekend visit tomorrow morning instead.

 Where will it all end?! Will she be able to get up and do it all again tomorrow? Too bad I don't know the value of any of the variables in this equation or I might be able to calculate when this energy will peter out.

No comments:

Post a Comment