Saturday, September 4, 2010

How Does Your Garden Grow?

I like to learn and stay familiar with a variety of techniques. The last two pair of socks I made used the European method with four DPNs and one working needle. I'm using the two-at-a-time method for the current pair. One of the advantages to this method is being able to apply new techniques to both socks at the same time.

One of the disadvantages is that it makes progress seem slower. I'm already saying to myself, "Y'know, Self, if this were one sock, I'd be very close to finishing the leg by now." In response, myself points out that I'll be turning both heels at the same time, which means my favorite part will be doubled, and the complete pair will be finished at the end of my efforts. She's right, of course.

So, I try to keep in mind that I've already knitted nearly six inches of leg while at the same time trying not to concentrate on the fact that I still have to knit a little more than that same amount before the legs are finished.

In other news, the Great Turtle Watch of 2010 yielded some unexpected results. All summer long, the spot where the mother box turtle buried her eggs remained more or less unchanged. I weeded carefully around its neighboring cilantro plant. The garden grew like gangbusters, despite various bugs and mole tunnels. I honestly thought the moles made a meal off the eggs. Ever the optimist, I decided to wait until the end of August to take any action.

The garden went nuts while we were on vacation. Everything was taller and fuller, not just the weeds. The dill and the cilantro were the only exceptions. However, the turtle bed remained the same. The guys that help out with the mowing weeded the garden and dug up the potatoes. They knew where the nest was, so they treated the spot with care.

Finally, on Wednesday, I noticed a small hole about the size of quarter next to the cilantro plant, which had gone to seed and died. Vova said he'd noticed it on Monday, but apparently didn't think it was worth mentioning to me.
Obviously, at least one survived the moles, hatched, and dug its way out. We theorized that more than one had hatched and come out through the same hole.

I didn't really expect to witness the baby turtles coming out to the surface, but I was still disappointed by the anticlimax.

We were allowed to leave work early yesterday for the holiday weekend. As a result, I got home a little earlier than usual. Vova smoked his pipe while I idly inspected the garden. I couldn't resist squatting down to study the turtle hole. Much to my surprise, there was a baby turtle inside it.

I turned on the water sprinkler and let it run while I went for a jog. The garden needed it, but I also hoped to soften the ground for the little turtle.

The hole was longer when I checked this afternoon and the turtle was definitely visible. I don't know how long he or she will stick around, but I kind of like the idea of resident garden turtle. Box turtles are land turtles rather than water turtles. They like lightly wooded areas. Given all the bushy herbs we have in the garden, maybe it will make its home there. It might need a name. Not that I'm getting attached to it already. Nope, not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment